1. Warm over the stove over low heat (not boiling):- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 teaspoons sugar
2. In a small bowl, dissolve 1 packet yeast and 1/2 cup warm (not hot) water
. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat 1 egg
with 1 teaspoon salt
. Add the milk mixture to the bowl.
4. Gradually add 5 cups white flour
5. Add yeast mixture and knead until a little sticky.
6. Let rise in a warm oven 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
7. Knead five minutes then roll into a large rectangle. Spread onto the dough melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon
. (I use about 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and a thorough sprinkling of cinnamon.)
8. Roll the dough tightly lengthwise and pinch to seal. Using dental floss, slice the roll into about 1 1/2 inch segments.
9. Place the individual rolls in a greased 9 by 13 inch pan and smash flat with your hand.
10. Cover and let rise another 45 minutes in the warm oven.
11. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes. While they bake, prepare the frosting
(I usually use half that recipe and leave out most of the milk).
12. While the rolls are still hot, frost with the frosting. It will melt all over for a beautiful and tasty glaze.
13. Let rolls cool or do like I do and cut them out of the pan still warm and gooey. Enjoy!